Friday, June 14, 2024

23 Washington, DC Pershing Park/World War I Memorial

Pershing Park, now home to the World War I Memorial, is a historical site in Washington, D.C., commemorating American soldiers who served in World War I. (Address: Pennsylvania Avenue NW between 14th and 15th Streets, Washington, D.C). It is close to the White House and the National Mall, making it easily accessible to visitors exploring the area.

Pershing Park was originally dedicated in 1981 and named after General John J. Pershing, the commander of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I. The park was designed by architect M. Paul Friedberg and included a statue of General Pershing, a fountain, a pond that converted into an ice rink in winter, and landscaped areas.

In 2021, Pershing Park was rededicated as the National World War I Memorial, coinciding with the centennial of the end of World War I. The memorial honors the 4.7 million Americans who served in the U.S. armed forces during World War I, including the 116,516 who died and the 200,000 who were wounded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment